There are some of our favorite words. Some are foreign words. Others come from medical dictionaries. And there’s a surprising amount of hobo slang. Have fun working these into conversation!
1. Kummerspeck (German): Excess weight gained from emotional overeating. Literally, grief bacon.
2. Paper-belly: A person unable to drink liquor straight, or one who grimaces after drinking.
3. Petrichor: The clean, pleasant smell that accompanies rain falling on dry ground. It’s from the Greek petra (stone) and ichor (the blood of Greek gods and goddesses). The term was coined by two Australian researchers in 1964.
4. milliHelen: The quantity of beauty required to launch just one ship.
5. Dysania: Having difficulty getting out of bed in the morning.
6. Karoshi (Japanese): Death from being overworked.
7. Lawn Mullet: A neatly manicured front yard and an unmowed mess in the back.
See the rest at mental_floss.
All the top stories from mental_floss.
Photo credit: Fotolia