If your bread wallet is empty and you need to line the flue, knight the ribbons and mosey to a beanery. Your cookie-pusher will know what you mean when you order any of these 27 cowboy food and drink items.
1. Bear Sign: Doughnuts
2. Overland trout: Bacon
3. Blue John: Skimmed milk
4. Boggy-top: A pie with no top crust
5. Cackleberries: Eggs
6. Charlie Taylor: A butter substitute made of sorghum or syrup mixed with fat. It wasn’t good, and apparently neither was Charlie Taylor, who was terrible enough to lend his name to the unpopular trail staple.
7. Hen-fruit Stir and Long Sweetenin’: Pancakes and molasses
8. Horse Thief Special / Spotted Pup: Rice or tapioca pudding with raisins
9. Hot Rock / Sinker / Doughgods: Biscuits
10. Huckdummy: Biscuits with raisins
11. Love Apples: Canned tomatoes
12. Music Roots: Sweet potatoes
13. Mysteries: Sausage of any variety, so-called because that’s what they’re made of
See the rest at mental_floss.
All the top stories from mental_floss.