43 Sesame Street Facts for the 43rd Season
Sesame Street kicked off its 43rd season recently, and we’re big fans of the Street, so to prove it, here are some of our favorite Sesame facts.
1. Oscar the Grouch used to be orange. Jim Henson decided to make him green before season two.
2. How did Oscar explain the color change? He said he went on vacation to the very damp Swamp Mushy Muddy and turned green overnight.
3. During a 2004 episode, Cookie Monster said that before he started eating cookies, his name was Sid.
4. In 1980, C-3PO and R2-D2 visited Sesame Street. They played games, sang songs, and R2-D2 fell in love with a fire hydrant.
5. Mr. Snuffleupagus has a first name—Aloysius
6. Ralph Nader stopped by in 1988 and sang “a consumer advocate is a person in your neighborhood.”
7. Caroll Spinney said he based Oscar’s voice on a cab driver from the Bronx who brought him to the audition.
8. In 1970, Ernie reached #16 on the Billboard Hot 100 with the timeless hit “Rubber Duckie.”
9. One of Count von Count’s lady friends is Countess von Backwards, who’s also obsessed with counting but likes to do it backwards.
10. Sesame Street made its Afghanistan debut last year with Baghch-e-Simsim (Sesame Garden). Big Bird, Grover and Elmo are involved.
11. According to Muppet Wiki, Oscar the Grouch and Count von Count were minimized on Baghch-e-Simsim “due to cultural taboos against trash and vampirism.”
12. Before Giancarlo Esposito was Breaking Bad‘s super-intense Gus Fring, he played Big Bird’s camp counselor Mickey in 1982.
See the rest at mental_floss.
All the top stories from mental_floss.Posted by mental_floss