Who hasn’t gazed at a picture of Einstein and thought, “Now there’s the guy for a good snuggle”? According to a tidbit of history from Letters of Note, though, Einstein would not be that guy, at least if you were married to him.
When things started getting rocky in his eleven-year marriage to Mileva Maric, the crazy-haired genius set a few ground rules to smooth out the rough patches of what remained of their relationship. After reading the list, it’s actually quite shocking they lasted that long.
A. You will make sure:
1. that my clothes and laundry are kept in good order;
2. that I will receive my three meals regularly in my room;
3. that my bedroom and study are key neat, and especially that my desk is left for my use only.
B. You will renounce all personal relations with me insofar as they are not completely necessary for social reasons.
C. You will obey the following points in your relations with me:
1. you will not expect any intimacy from me, nor will you reproach me in any way;
2. you will stop talking to me if I request it;
3. you will leave my bedroom or study immediately without protest if I request it.
D. You will undertake not to belittle me in front of our children, either through words or behavior.
Disastrous relationships.Author on Google+