Eddie Murphy bowed out of his Academy Awards hosting duties on Wednesday, leaving a gaping vacancy at the Oscars’ helm, which a budding internet movement would like to see filled by the Muppets.
The push to see Jim Henson’s cast of colorful, booglie-eyed characters take the reigns at Hollywood’s most glamourous night began shortly after this year’s ceremony aired in February. A few hundred Muppet fanatics signed up to join the cause, but it never gained much traction. Now, with the resignation of Murphy, the buzz has started building again to install Kermit and friends as the faces of the show.
Check out a few reasons why the Muppets would make for the perfect Oscars hosts:
- The shindig airs on ABC, which is owned by Disney. Disney also owns the Muppets.
- With the exception of Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem, Oscar producers don’t have to worry about any of the hosts showing up looking high (*cough* James Franco *cough*)
- Not even Sam the Eagle can be more boring than Anne Hathaway.
- Statler and Waldorf on the Red Carpet.
- Rowlf performing duets with all the Oscar-nominated songs.
- Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker could take on hosting duties at the Scientific & Technical Oscars.
- Song and dance numbers? Check.
Join the movement at Facebook.
We love Muppets too.