Dreading the days when your precious herb garden is buried under a foot of snow? Scared of setting the microwave on fire again trying to dry them? (Yes, it can happen.) With a little help from Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op, they can be ready to go at a moment’s notice without worrying about the season. (And did we mention that butter is involved? Hmmmm, butter.)
Steps to freeze the herbs in olive oil or unsalted butter (melted)
1. If want you can chop them well, or leave them on branches and larger leaves. In the photo, the herbs are finely chopped.
2. Place in trays of ice cubes (about 2/3 full of herbs).
3. You can mix herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary).
4. Pour extra virgin olive oil or unsalted melted butter over the herbs.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
6. Remove frozen cubes and store in small containers or bags to freeze.
7. Be sure to label each container or bag with the type of herbs (and oil) inside!
8. Use in baked goods, baked potatoes, etc.
Full story at Bountiful Baskets @ Facebook.
Preserving your garden.
Photo credit: Marientina HatzidimitriouAuthor on Google+