10 ways Elizabeth Taylor rocked
If old movie stars aren’t your thing, make an exception and check out a biography of Elizabeth Taylor, who redefined Hollywood scandal but was also a champion of social causes long before they hit the mainstream and won three Academy Awards to boot. This list was compiled by Kate Torgovnick at The Frisky in honor of the violet-eyed beauty.
1. Elizabeth followed her heart, even when it would bring harsh criticism. Over the years, she was married eight times to seven different men… Elizabeth says the reason for her many weddings was a great reverence for marriage rather than the opposite. “I was taught by my parents that if you fall in love, if you want to have a love affair, you get married,” she said. “I guess I’m very old-fashioned.”
2. Her most recent boy toy was 49-year-old business man Jason Winters. Not too many women of Elizabeth’s generation would have dated someone of a different race or gone for a guy so much younger. But Liz said, “Jason Winters is one of the most wonderful men I’ve ever known and that’s why I love him.”
3. Elizabeth had three Academy Awards on her mantle—for Best Actress in “Butterfield 8,” for Best Actress in “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf,” and the Jean Herscholt Humanitarian Academy Award for her work fighting AIDS. Oh, and she was nominated for Best Actress an additional three times.
4. She had violet eyes. How awesome is that?
5. Liz was very accepting of her gay friends and vehemently defended their lifestyle even as they felt they needed to closet themselves to make it in Hollywood… Accepting her humanitarian Oscar, Elizabeth explained, “I call upon you to draw from the depths of your being — to prove that we are a human race, to prove that our love outweighs our need to hate, that our compassion is more compelling than our need to blame.”
6. Queen Elizabeth II dubbed Elizabeth a dame, but she didn’t feel the need to make it part of her name a la Dame Judi Dench.
Full story at The Frisky.
Remembering movie legends.Posted by Kate Rinsema