Statistics on social networking and work
Tons of news, tips, and research on Social Media.
A recent Computerworld article reported some some surprising research discoveries:
• 54% of U.S. companies have banned employees from social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and MySpace
• 19% of companies allow social networking for business purposes only
• 16% allow limited personal use
• 10% of 1,4000 CIOs said companies allow workers full access to social networking during work hours
• Employee productivity drops 1.5% at companies that allow full access to Facebook
• 1 in 33 workers said they use Facebook only while at work
• 87% said they had no clear business reason for using Facebook
My personal belief is that social networking in the workplace makes for happier, more effective employees. If you give people the freedom to work not just hard but also smart, the long term benefits could outweigh the immediate ones.
What do you guys think?
By @noelleeePosted by Guy Kawasaki